This is an essay I wrote once about why I hate milk. Sorry if it is littered with mistakes! I ain't proof readin' this shit.
---
Somehow in my youth
I began to harbor a hate for a staple in American nutrition: milk. I
think it's absolutely horrid and to drink just a plain glass of it
causes me to gag. I can't watch another person who does, and I can't
hear them glug it down. I can eat ice cream (occasionally of course),
eat some cheese... but drinking a big glass of milk? No thank you.
My two main reasons
I won't drink milk are pretty silly, I admit. First is this: I watched
television a lot with my parents and they loved Science Fiction and Horror
things like The X Files. On
one of these shows I saw a doctor cut into an infected spinal cord.
Murky white liquid squirted out. Just thinking of it makes me queasy.
It looked just like milk.
The other reason is the movie Napoleon Dynamite. In
a scene he tastes and comments milk varieties. One milk has a taste
of onions, another of bleach. I couldn't stand it, just watching and
hearing him made me feel faint.
The
other reasons for me not liking milk are somewhat more health
oriented. The obvious health concern are the hormones. This is
something that was in the news for a long while, and you still hear
as a main cause to prostate, ovarian, and breast cancer. I never seem
to remember this even though it is so abundant... so from now on if I
must buy milk I will get rBGH free (the bovine growth hormone) and
encourage others to as well.
While
watching the movie Forks Over Knives
– a movie about bettering your health through an all natural diet –
I learned there is a protein in milk called casein. They mentioned an
Indian test that found that rats fed 5% of their diet as
casein were generally free from cancerous growths on the liver,
whereas the rats fed 20% casein had tumor covered livers. Now, I did
more research and those tumors aren't necessarily bad, and the ones
with 20% casein actually lived longer... but the fact remains:
tumors! Like I mentioned,
casein is a protein. You can get protein from multiples of things
including fish. Why not eat a nice fish fillet and get some healthy
Omega-3's?
One
last thing: the book Food Inc. mentions
a headline that stated: “The FDA intends to approve meat and milk
from cloned animals.” Now, I just can't stand by that. I am all for
cloning animals, but there better be a lot of testing regarding these
products.
I
can't say I hope to ever find love for milk again, because I just
don't. Since I stopped really drinking milk I started to become
somewhat allergic to it. I tried a coffee with whole milk in it this
week and became pretty sick from it. I don't feel bad about that. I
think Americans drink way too much and the government shouldn't be
forcing us to drink it (they added it into the new food pyramid)
probably due to back alley dealings. I don't want to end this on some
conspiracy theories – I just want people to try and be more aware
of what they are putting into their bodies. Because... milk is gross.
EDIT: Here is what my friend Raz has to add about milk. He always has something to add!
"Another thing you didn't mention about milk consumption: milk is acidic and drops your body's pH. due to this, more calcium is used as a buffer, and the calcium you get from milk isn't enough to cover it. as a result, your body actually loses more calcium than it's getting on intake. there are studies showing that we have higher instances of osteoporosis in societies where milk is a dietary staple as opposed to those where it is not."
No comments:
Post a Comment